Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Charminar

Its ironic that I visited the Charminar for the first (and only) time on the last day of my stint at Hyderabad. I must confess, I had very little expectations from the visit. The general feedback I had recieved from friends about the monument was nothing phenomenal. Somehow, the visit to Charminar never happened during my stay at ISB. And I was almost certain that it wouldn't happen for some time to come. My parents were in Hyderabad for the convocation, and they were actually very keen on visiting Charminar. Unfortunately though, curfew was imposed in the old city due to communal violence. But as fate would have it, curfew was partially lifted, from 8 AM to 5 PM on the day we were slated to leave Hyderabad. And this was my chance for glory. After all, what would your neighbours ask you when you are back from your first trip to Hyderabad? Almost certainly the following two questions:
1. Did you see the Charminar?
2. Did you have Hyderabadi Biryani at Paradise?
Well, till now the answer to both the questions was no as far as my parents were concerned. And hence the chance to glory. I could arrange a quick visit to Charminar and drop by at Paradise before leaving Hyderabad! I did exactly that. And boy, I am delighted I did.

I dont know that what impressed me more, the Charminar or the Old Hyderabad city, but there was something different about the place. For starters, it was different from the rest of Hyderabad. Narrow lanes, heavy chirping and chaotic auto traffic, old buildings - wait, read very old buildings; you know you are at a different place the moment you are there. And the Charminar, despite the fact that we the people have tried hard to ruin its beauty by scribbling on its walls till the height our hands can reach, still stands tall in the middle of the road, unperturbed by the choas all around it. The architechture of the monument is scintillating and grand in ways more than one. The view from the first floor is mesmerizing, especially the view of the auto-rickshaws in a jigsaw puzzle just below. Although I took a pic, the picture wouldn't do justice to what I mean, and hence am not posting the same. Bottomline, if you are in Hyderabad and haven't been to Charminar - go there soon!

Due to paucity of time, I still missed out on three things at Charminar:
1. A visit to the bangle market
2. Arabian Tea
3. Shadab's Dum Biryani

We (read BBG) had planned a visit to Charminar on our bikes and stop-over at Shadab's for biryani. As I said, the plan never materialized. I think this is one thing that we missed out on doing at ISB. Come December 2010, come Solstice, hope to set the record straight. I hope 7/7 would be there. Would definitely miss my Avenger!

Grapevine facts about Charminar:
1. Charminar is a mosque. And right beneath, a temple has been constructed. See the saffron flags in the picture?
2. There is a legend of an underground tunnel that connects the Charminar and the Golconda fort. Search for it!

4 comments:

  1. Good one. . . but still have a Q for u... did u eat biryani at paradise finally???..... Sarfraz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry mouny......we'll ask vish to arrange a pulsar nd an avenger... :P

    and btw Paradise biriyani to definitely miss ho gayi....gotta make up for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shashank: hahha..u still belive that ill have my pulsar then?

    ReplyDelete